Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Of singlehood and motherhood

I got a shocking call earlier today from a gal friend, E, announcing that she is pregnant. Why would that be so shocking ? Because she is as single and how can she possibly get herself pregnant?

When E broke the news was that how calm and happy she sounded. As far as I knew E wasnt even dating but a one night stay turned into something different and unexpected.

When I asked her what did the guy said about it and whether he will take responsibility, she just his reaction was nothing but cold. What a bastard I thought!

E is highly independent, confident and very down to earth but news of the pregnancy had changed her a bit. She is in shock like me and she is confused too.

Basically she told me, she had 3 options

1) to abort

2) to keep the baby and overcome the problems of being a single mum

3) force the guy to take responsibility, which will be the hardest thing to do

She ask me what is my option, I would rather take option 2.

Option 1 will be the last resort for me because I know people who had lived their live with guilt because they did abortion and I dont want E to go through the same thing.

While Option 3 seemed so far fetched. If I am in that shoe, I certainly wont want a guy to marry me because of responsibility.

Whatever decision E choose to make in the end, she has my full support.

If E chooses option 2, I would give her respect for taking that big step and overcoming all the problems. I had warned her that with single motherhood comes sacrifices.





No comments: